When it comes to investing in a heating or cooling system, quality matters. That’s where Cardinal Heating and Air, a trusted HVAC service provider in King County, Washington, comes into play. With their commitment to top-notch services and high-quality products, Cardinal Heating and Air ensures that your HVAC system delivers optimal performance for years to come.
In this blog, we’ll explore the typical life spans of various HVAC equipment, the factors influencing their longevity, and how your local HVAC contractor, like Cardinal Heating and Air, can help you get the most out of your system.
The Typical HVAC Life Spans: Heating and cooling systems are significant investments, and knowing how long they can be expected to last is crucial
Typical Life Spans for Common HVAC Equipment:
- With proper maintenance, gas furnaces can last 15 years or even longer.
- Poorly maintained or low-quality furnaces may last as little as 10 years.
- Oil furnaces typically last 10 to 15 years.
- Boilers often last slightly longer than furnaces, if properly maintained. With an average life span of 15 to 20 years.
- Air conditioners:
- Most air conditioners will last 10 to 15 years.
- Coastal areas may see shorter life spans due to salt exposure (7 to 12 years).
- Heat pumps:
- Heat pumps can last 10 to 15 years, with an average of 15 years.
- Coastal areas may experience reduced life spans (7 to 12 years).
- Ductless mini-splits:
- Ductless mini-splits can provide both heating and cooling and typically last about 20 years (except in coastal areas).
Factors Impacting Longevity:
Several factors can affect the lifespan of HVAC systems, including:
- Poor maintenance practices: Regular maintenance is essential to prolong system life.
- Initial quality and components: High-quality systems tend to last longer.
- Proper sizing and installation: Systems must be correctly sized and installed.
- Usage frequency and loads: Excessive use can shorten life spans.
- Usage habits: Heating or cooling with windows and doors open is inefficient.
- Environmental factors: Salt exposure in coastal areas can lead to corrosion.
Your Local HVAC Contractor’s Role: Cardinal Heating and Air, your local HVAC contractor, plays a vital role in ensuring the longevity of your HVAC system.
They offer a range of services to keep your system in top shape:
- HVAC repairs: Prompt and reliable repairs for common HVAC issues.
- HVAC installations: Energy-efficient installations for new systems.
- HVAC replacements: Upgrading to a newer, efficient model can save you money.
- HVAC maintenance: Regular maintenance ensures efficiency and minimizes breakdowns.
Energy Star Recommendations: Consider replacing with an ENERGY STAR qualified furnace, which is 15% more efficient than a conventional furnace. If you have a boiler, consider replacing it with an ENERGY STAR qualified boiler that is 5% more efficient than a new, standard model. Your equipment needs frequent repairs, and your energy bills are going up. Please see the Energy Star website for more details.
Additional Signs to Watch For:
- Your cooling or heating equipment may have become less efficient.
- Some rooms in your home are too hot or too cold.
- Improper equipment operation, duct problems, or inadequate insulation could be the cause.
- Your home has humidity problems.
- Your heating or cooling system is noisy.
Consider a Quote on Replacing if you see the following:
- No one is home for long periods of the day, and you do not have a programmable thermostat; this allows you to start saving energy and money while you’re away or sleeping.
- Your home has humidity problems; poor equipment operation, inadequate equipment, and leaky ductwork can cause the air to be too dry in the winter or too humid in the summer.
- Your home has excessive dust; leaky ducts can pull particles and air from attics, crawl spaces, and basements and distribute them throughout your house. Sealing your ducts may be a solution.
- Your heating or cooling system is noisy; you could have an undersized duct system or a problem with the indoor coil of your cooling equipment.
Investing in a high-quality HVAC system is just the first step. Maximizing its longevity requires regular maintenance, professional installation, and timely repairs when needed. With Cardinal Heating and Air, you can trust that you’re getting the best quality products and services in King County, Washington. Don’t wait until your system breaks down; prioritize its care and enjoy years of efficient heating and cooling.
Choose Cardinal Heating and Air for your HVAC needs, and experience the difference in quality and service that has made them a top-tier provider in the industry. Your comfort and satisfaction are their top priorities, and they take pride in delivering the best for their valued customers.