Regular replacement of air conditioner filters is an important aspect of air conditioner maintenance. This component is responsible for getting rid of dust, pathogens, minute particles, pollen and any other type of airborne debris that may be present in the air supply system of a building. With time, air filters usually get clogged, thereby obstructing air-flow through the unit. This can cause a lot of problems.
The Effect of Having Dirty Filters
For one, it will reduce the efficiency of the system since motors have to work harder to force air through the filters. Secondly, dirt may bypass the filters and go directly into the evaporator coil. This will reduce the heat-absorbing capacity of the coil. The overall result will be:
– Poor performance of the air conditioning system
– Increased energy consumption of your AC system
– Contaminated air supply in the building
– Reduced lifespan of the HVAC system
– Uncomfortable surroundings
Air conditioner filters should therefore be replaced several times every year. Alternatively, dirty filters can be cleaned and reinstalled on a monthly basis. The average homeowner may be able to do this, but a professional HVAC company should be hired to handle all maintenance works.
Even with good filters, the two air conditioner coils may still accumulate dust and other debris. Both the condenser and air conditioner evaporator coils can accumulate dirt with extended period of use. Since dirt can insulate these coils and compromise their heat-carrying capacity, regular cleaning is recommended. During maintenance, the cooling fins in the condenser unit should be cleaned to remove any insulation that may have formed as a result of accumulation of dirt.
Save Money With Regular HVAC Maintenance
Maintaining your air conditioner will save you money now and in the future. There are several ways through which this can be achieved.
1. Energy Savings – A well maintained air conditioner consumes less energy compared to AC units that are not property looked after, so you can save a lot of money on your energy bills.
2. Reduced Repair Costs – Air conditioners that are well maintained rarely break down. Therefore, you will be able to save a lot of money on repair costs.
3. Replacement Costs – Well maintained air conditioning systems last longer, meaning that they can be used for many years before they need to be replaced.
While HVAC filters should be checked and cleaned, or replaced, every couple of months, complete AC system maintenance should be done at least once or twice a year. While these maintenance works do not come free of charge, the cost is reasonable considering the long term cost benefits.
The average homeowner may know a thing or two on how to maintain an HVAC system, but only professionals have the skills, experience and equipment needed to carry out these maintenance works. Therefore, homeowners should take their time to find a professional heating and cooling professional who can take good care of their HVAC Systems.