The air conditioning system in your home consumes about 40% of your total energy bills and therefore to improve the efficiency of the system, it is essential to maintain and service your AC unit regularly. When your AC system is neglected, you would land up with high utility bills and also expensive repairs and replacements.
An efficient AC system provides comfort to the occupants and safeguards them from hazardous pollutants and allergens. To get a better cooling and an improved air quality for your indoors, it is important to check if your air conditioner has a good SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating.
Tips to improve the efficiency of air conditioning system:
- Buy an air conditioner with correct size that matches with the size of your room in order to deliver better cooling.
- Another important aspect about AC units is to do a regular inspection and servicing. Regular maintenance can improve the efficiency of the system. Hire a qualified HVAC technician for frequent inspection to check if there are any small repairs and replacements required for your system.
- Make sure to clean the condenser coils frequently with a soft brush to improve the efficiency performance of the system.
- Clean or change the air filters regularly as dust or debris could get clogged inside which in turn obstructs the airflow and reduces the efficiency of the system.
- Check the AC and Control settings and make sure to turn off the main AC switch when you are not available indoors and also check if your air conditioner starts on and off properly.
- Make sure to lubricate the moving parts since un-lubricated parts can consume more energy.
- Check for leakages in ducts which can reduce the cooling capacity of the AC unit.
- Do not run the air conditioner continuously throughout the day which can make it inefficient in performance and give a break of at least 10 to 15 minutes in between.
- Buy a high energy star rated AC unit which can help to conserve maximum energy with low energy bills.
- Check the insulation of your home and also for any air leaks which can reduce the efficiency of the system.
- Provide a shade for your AC’s outdoor unit which can easily cool the air inside and save up to 10% percent of your energy consumption.