Carbon monoxide is a gas that can cause a severe poisoning and be fatal. Unfortunately it is a colorless and odorless gas, and it is not easy to detect in the air: you cannot see it or smell it. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and it is important to recognize the symptoms early enough. It is also important to protect your home from CO poisoning and install a carbon monoxide detector.
What Are the Symptoms of CO Poisoning?’
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is burned in a car or in furnaces, grills, lanterns, stoves, engines and gas ranges. It is not possible to smell it or detect it in the air, and it can build up in an unventilated indoor space without anyone noticing it is present in the air. The body can deal with some CO, but too much can cause a poisoning or even death. Typical symptoms can resemble flu symptoms and include dizziness, confusion, headache, vomiting, weakness chest pain and an upset stomach.
It is possible to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in your sleep without even noticing any symptoms. It is also possible to pass out from inhaling a lot of carbon monoxide. Those who suffer from breathing problems or heart disease, as well as the elderly and
babies, often have more difficulties with carbon monoxide.
How To Prevent CO Poisoning?
It is important to prevent carbon monoxide from building up in your home. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in every home and checked regularly. The batteries should be changed twice a year and if the detector is more than ten years old, it should be replaced. It is also important to have any oil, coal or gas burning appliances in your home serviced regularly.
All gas appliances in the house should be properly vented to prevent CO leaks. Charcoal should be never burned indoors because it creates carbon monoxide. Portable gas stoves should not be used indoors – not even in camper vans. To install a CO detector or to check your gas appliances, call us for all your heating and air conditioning needs.