When it comes to energy-efficient furnaces, two-sage heating is the way to go. Over the last 10 years, the efficiency of heating units have increased tremendously. One of the biggest factors to this improvement has been the introduction of two-stage heating systems.
For years, furnaces simply operated in one stage. The unit would turn on, noisily, at full blast, to heat your home or business. This resulted in a blast of hot air, which not only was uncomfortable at some points during the year, but also resulted in a tremendous loss of energy. Two-stage furnaces operate much more efficiently. In most climates, the first stage operates the majority of the time that the unit is on, running at about 65% of the furnace’s capacity. This means that not as much fuel is used.
When exterior temperatures drop to extremely cold levels, the first stage is not sufficient to heat your home, so the second stage kicks in. Additional a two-stage furnace is much quieter as it does not run at full capacity every time it turns on and does not pump extra carbon dioxide into the environment.
Two-stage heating systems have a number of benefits. These include:
1. Better and continual comfort. Because two-stage systems turn on more often, building residents will avoid temperature fluctuations associated with one-stage furnaces Temperatures can vary as little as one degree of set temperature.
2. Quiet operation. Two-stage systems don’t reach maximum output all at once, thus meaning that the amount of warm air required isn’t as much. There is no sudden air blast or loud sound.
3. Air filtration is better in two-stage systems because the unit is on more, thus allowing air to constantly pass through filters and capture more pollutants.
4. Better efficiency. Multi-stage systems operate at lower capacity when the first stage is on and burn less fuel than single-stage systems running at full capacity.
5. Lower moisture. Multi-stage provides longer cooling. The result is more even dry air flown that results in fewer mildew and mold problems.
Overall, two-stage furnaces along with other enhancements are the smart choice for energy-conscious homeowners. Follow us for more articles to keep your heating and cooling systems running efficiently.