Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is poisonous in excessive amounts and can be fatal. A person can suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning when enough is inhaled to actually replace vital amounts of oxygen in the bloodstream. While this is extremely dangerous, it can be prevented.
It is important to first understand the potential sources of carbon monoxide in and around your home. Any appliance or piece of equipment that burns fuel can release the gas. Therefore, space heaters, furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, gas central heating/cooling units, and wood burning stoves can emit carbon monoxide. If the units have cracks or are poorly vented, the gas can escape into the air that your family breathes. A more well known source is the exhaust produced by a running vehicle in a garage or other closed off space.
Our company strives to provide the best service to each and every one of our customers. We also want to help educate you in order to protect your family from such a tragedy. There are several ways you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
• It is essential to install a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home. The best location is near the bedrooms.
• If you have a chimney, have it professionally cleaned each year.
• Appliances and their corresponding ventilation systems should be checked annually.
• Ensure that generators are never operated in crawl spaces or indoors.
• If you use a wood burning stove, make sure it meets all EPA emission standards as well as any local regulations.
• Never use a kitchen stove that runs on gas as a heat source for your home.
• Hire a certified technician to clean, inspect and tune up your HVAC system.
• Never use a grill indoors.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, you should seek immediate medical attention. The symptoms mimic those of the flu; headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness and trouble breathing. You may also notice that the symptoms decrease when you step outside and reappear when you go back indoors where the gas is present.
Follow our blog for more information and helpful tips on heating, cooling and maintaining energy efficiency for your home.