Regular HVAC Maintenance is one of the most important ways to help prevent problems with the unit in the future. It can also help keep down the overall cost of your air conditioner by preventing expensive repairs and help it to run more efficiently.
Here are some of the things your maintenance technician should do during a regular system check-up.
- Check to make sure the thermostat settings are correct so that your home stays at the comfort levels you and your family desire.
- Check the electrical connections to ensure they are tight. Use a voltage meter to measure the output on motors. Unsafe operating conditions can put you and your loved ones at risk and reduce the life of the appliance.
- Lubricate the moving parts of the unit to reduce friction on motors and energy usage.
- Inspect the drain on the furnace, heat pump or central air conditioning unit to ensure it is not plugged with debris or mineral deposits. When water builds up it adversely affects indoor humidity and can cause water damage to the home.
- Check to make sure system controls are operating properly. You want it to cycle and operate properly.
For Your Cooling System
- Clean the coils on the evaporator and condenser to eliminate dirt buildup. Dirty coils reduce the life of the unit and increase energy costs because the unit must work harder and run longer to maintain the desired temperature of your home.
- Check the refrigerant level and adjust it according to the need. A system with too little or too much refrigerant is not as efficient and will not last as long as one with the right amount installed.
- Make sure blower components are adjusted properly. This can increase the unit’s efficiency by as much as 15 percent and provide you with the greatest comfort level.
- Check fuel connections, pressure, burner combustions and heat exchanger. If any of these are not working correctly it can spell as fire hazard or cause major health problems.
One of the easiest things you can do is to inspect, change or clean the air filters to keep air moving through the system properly. A well operating heating or air conditioning system is one of the best gifts you can give to your family. These maintenance tips will help in that effort.
Follow us for more great articles on heating, air conditioning and home needs.